Tools for students

Hi all,

Here are some tools I use with my students to help them understand math better:

WabbitEMU - an android app that simulates the ti-84 calculator.  Makes your android into a perfectly functioning graphing calculator, and more importantly, helps students learn the graphing calculator so they can use that tool during tests, even if they don't have a graphing calculator of their own.

Khan Academy - For anybody, at any age range, the SAT study guide is perfect.  It will track what you know and adjust, and show you what you still need to know.  I plan to use it to take the graduate tests I need to take in the near future, because it will diagnose if I need to re-remember anything and then give me the things I need to know.

Desmos.com - a great graphing calculator for any browser, any operating system.  It graphs in color and makes graphing easy.  One warning - students become a bit dependent upon it, so make sure you help them with graphing calculators too because they can't use desmos on assessments or the SAT.

TI-Nspire Cas CX - the best graphing calculator I've ever used.  Menu based and document driven, it looks more like a computer than a calculator, graphs in color, and will do most basic algebra tasks for you if you know how to use it. 

For presentations, I like smart boards, smart tablets, chromecasts for students to cast to (with their chromebooks) and dual displays.  My room has a forward facing and rear facing projector, one of which has a smart board attached.  I'm hoping my donorschoose gets funded so that I can use a wacom tablet on the other one, to sort of emulate the smart board functionality without actually having a smart board attached.  I used to use the RM easiteach boards, which I felt were better technology than SMART boards, but for some reason they've been discontinued. 
They were sort of like this:
https://www.camcor.com/cat/iMMPad-SE-Wireless-Classroom-Tablet-RM-Easiteach-Mac-IMMPADSE.html

Anyhow, have a great day!

Mark

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happens if we delay happiness? (Or, how to get students to problem solve persistently)

Instead of suspensions, MORE oversight

Societal ills and math (the generation of NOW)